Sunday 19 August 2018

Maurice Corlett: Prize-winning Booranga poet




Maurice Corlett, long-time Booranga member, supporter, and current Committee member, recently gained third place in the Peter Cowan Poetry Prize with his poem Baker Street. “I have been sending poems away other the last couple of years and this is the best result yet,” said Maurice of his recent success.


We congratulate Maurice, a very worthy recipient, as he is a dedicated poet and a great supporter of all Booranga events behind the scenes and as well as being very generous with sharing his work in performance opportunities.


Born and raised in England, Maurice has had an interest in writing for many years. He was a founding member of Wagga Wagga Writers Writers (the forerunner of Booranga Writer's Centre) nearly thirty years ago. After an absence of several years he has returned to the group. Maurice writes poetry and prose and has been published in Booranga Writer's annual publication fourW for the last four years. Apart from writing, which he loves, he also enjoy reading his work aloud at Booranga's public readings.



BAKER STREET

Graham and me powering
our way in an old white ute
through the Wimmera after
a hard day’s toil in the heat
when Baker Street came on
the radio and I was transported
twelve thousand mile
back to London.


London – an hour on a fast
train from Brighton – where
the world seemed to be and
me walking through it
down Baker Street.


A strong sense of longing
overtook me as I sat in the
passenger’s seat knowing
that I could not go back
with Lyn waiting for me
and Renee toddling around
in the weatherboard
house in Horsham.


But I was no angel and if
it was Friday we would head
for the pub and stay there for
hours until Lyn came down
with the pram and got me out.


Now when I hear Baker Street
it reminds me of the mistakes
that we made and how things
could have been better.

Maurice Corlett



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.